Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Planting Churches New Zealand - an introduction

During the supposedly quieter days of summer I have been reflecting, 
always a dangerous thing. For many of the people we come into contact 
with, 'legacy' church doesn't work - I am thinking students, shift 
workers, young families and so on. I am not thinking here about the  
usual "the worship is too traditional/too modern, the sermons are too
shallow/too theological, the vicar spends too much time with 
outsiders/those who already come to church" kind of stuff, but much more 
significant and fundamental issues. 

The simple reality is that our usual way of doing church will not work in reaching many unreached Kiwis. With a very few exceptions, we are not reproducing churches, nor equipping disciples to make generations of disciples. Many of our practices are unbiblical and ineffective.



I have no intention of presenting a 1-2-3 of successful disciple making! 
But I will offer some thoughts on some foundational Biblical principles 
which any new churches need to stick to. Many of these thoughts were 
provoked by an excellent article written by Rick Wood in the Jan/Feb 
2017 edition of Mission Frontiers magazine. 

I would love this to provoke discussion, whether you agree with me or not!

Praying for a great harvest in 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment